Hi, I’m Deb Lorentz. I’d love to be your officiant.

I am the owner and lead officiant at Mid-Ohio Valley Wedding Officiants. I’m a former college English and communications instructor, as well as a former mental health counselor. I’ve also worked as a professional writer and editor since 1999. As you can see, I bring an eclectic mix of skills and experience to your wedding.

I am also a member of the International Association of Professional Wedding Officiants. IAPWO is an organization has a strong focus on industry standards, industry outreach, and education. My goal is to make your wedding celebration the best that it can be.

Christmas Day ceremony at the Gazebo on Front Street in Marietta, OH


Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about our services.


Are you licensed to officiate weddings?


  • Yes. I am ordained through Universal Life Church and am licensed to officiate weddings in West Virginia by the WV Secretary of State as well as in Ohio by the Ohio Secretary of State.


Where do you perform weddings? In your office? On location? Are you willing to travel?


  • Mid-Ohio Wedding Officiants offers a traveling wedding officiant service as well as a micro-wedding chapel that seats 35 guests. Mid-Ohio Valley Wedding Chapel is located at 531 Market Street, Parkersburg WV 26101.
    • My office is located at the corner of Sixth and Market Streets. After you walk through the door, my office is the third office on the right. The wedding space is directly across the hall from my office. Ceremonies with up to four guests are performed in my office unless you request the chapel. Additional charges apply to the chapel.
  • WV weddings are performed in my office or in the Mid-Ohio Valley Wedding Chapel. I am also available to officiate your wedding at the location of your choice.
  • OH weddings are officiated at the location of your choice.


Do you charge travel fees?


  • I charge travel fees for weddings outside the immediate service area. The fees are listed HERE.


Do you officiate same-sex weddings?


  • Absolutely! I believe in love, and love equals marriage equality for all.


Do you perform marriage vow reaffirmation (renewal of wedding vows) ceremonies?


  • Yes. I love the idea of re-commitment ceremonies.


We were secretly married but still want a ceremony for our friends and family. Will you still perform the ceremony?


  • Certainly! Your secret is safe with me. I’ll perform a beautiful ceremony so that others can witness your vows and commitment to each other.


We don’t want a big wedding. What are our options?


  • It’s your day. We’ll work to make it special. You can get married at the chapel, at your home, or at a venue of your choice. I’ll even marry you in your car.
Do you take walk-ins?


  • My weddings are by appointment only, but same-day weddings are usually possible.
Do you require pre-marital counseling?



What do we need to bring to the ceremony?


  • I’ll need your valid WV or OH marriage license and a government-issued photo I.D. to verify your identity. Bring the self-addressed envelope that your county issued with your license, as well.


Do you work from a script?


  • I have pre-written scripts that I use; however, I also offer fully customized wedding ceremonies.


May we personalize our ceremony?


  • Absolutely! I offer personalized services as an add-on option.


We prefer a non-religious ceremony. Is that okay?


  • Yes. This is your day. I want it to reflect your beliefs. My basic service is non-denominational; however, I also perform religious wedding ceremonies.


May we involve children in our ceremony?


  • Of course! I can customize your wedding to include your family members.


Will you attend the wedding rehearsal?


  • Yes. I will attend your rehearsal for an additional fee. The rehearsal is included in the price of the Love Story Signature Ceremony. Click HERE for details.


Do you allow pictures during the ceremony?


  • I also own a photography business, and I know how important photos are to preserve your memories. You can bring your own photographer or choose photography as an add-on service. Your guests may take as many pictures as they’d like in our wedding chapel or on location. I offer complimentary digital photos with select chapel weddings.


What happens after the ceremony?


  • After the ceremony, I will sign and submit your marriage license to the county clerk in the county where your license was issued. In some circumstances, couples prefer to take their signed marriage license to the county clerk.


Will you take care of the name change?


  • No. After the County Clerk records your marriage, you will receive an official marriage document in the mail. Name changes are not official until documented with The Social Security Administration. Click HERE for details.

Sara and Eric


How do we schedule an appointment?


Call or text me at 740-525-6974 to schedule your appointment, or complete the form below. I’ll contact you within one business day.

The Mid-Ohio Valley Wedding Chapel is located at 531 Market Street in downtown Parkersburg, WV. I officiate weddings by appointment at the chapel or on location in WV and OH. You may also call or text 740-525-6974 to speak with an officiant.
For short-notice drive-thru ceremonies, please text/call 740-525-6974 between the hours of 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM. If I do not answer, please leave a message. I will contact you as soon as possible. Hours are seasonal, based on daylight hours.